Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Microphones



Oh man, what to say about this band. I've been listening to The Microphones ever since my sophmore year in high school when I dated this guy with all the in's to the K Records/Marriage Records music scene. Adrian Orange, Karl Blau, Andrew Kaffer, Kimya Dawson...they were all great but this one stuck with me the most. Not only is Phil Elvrum one of the greatest song writers, IMO, but his combination of loud drumming, static, bells, some insane guitar riffs followed by some mellow acoustic strumming, and his quite voice coming through all of it just makes me melt every time. There are a lot of good albums by The Microphones, including It Was Hot We Stayed in the Water and Mount Eerie, but The Glow Pt. 2 is definitely a must, at first. Phil Elvrum is currently focused on his band called Mount Eerie, which is more on the electronic side and which I less prefer, but it's still great.


The Glow Pt. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment